Cannabis Insurance in Huntington Beach & Long Beach CA
Every business must carry insurance coverage that is customized to them. That’s particularly true if you work in a high-risk field such as the legal cannabis industry.
Cannabis businesses in California—manufacturers, distributors, retailers and more—must consider several unique liabilities in their search for insurance. Not only is cannabis a high-risk product, but it is also a relatively new legal industry. Many insurers are only now beginning to offer policy solutions that can provide adequate risk management.
For help putting together your business’s cannabis insurance portfolio, you can trust INM Insurance Services. We have decades of experience serving Huntington Beach, Long Beach and other communities throughout southern California. We deliver every client outstanding service at every turn. With us, you can rest assured knowing that your business, employees and commodities will always be protected.
Common Cannabis Insurance Questions
What is Cannabis Insurance?
Only in the last few years has recreational cannabis use become legal in a handful of U.S. states, including California. Though legalization has given rise to a thriving legal cannabis industry, the product is still tightly regulated. Cannabis insurance is designed specifically to protect dispensaries, cultivators, wholesalers, researchers, retailers and others in this unique and growing industry.
Why do I Need Cannabis Insurance?
In all businesses there are risks and liabilities present, as well as assets you want to protect. Cannabis sales and consumption bring with them high liabilities. You never know when property damage, lawsuits or other hazards might damage your products, cause lost income, damage your reputation or put you in a bad financial position. Customized insurance benefits will help your business fight these challenges and emerge in a stable financial position.
What Coverage Should I Carry?
To get the right insurance for your cannabis business, you will need several familiar types of commercial insurance. However, your policy must be tailored to the unique liabilities present in your operation.
Some of the coverage you will likely need includes:
- Property Insurance: If something damages physical property, such as your building or possessions, then this coverage can help you repair or replace them.
- General Liability Insurance: This covers the business in the event it causes property damage or bodily injuries to another party, such as a client or vendor.
- Business Interruption Insurance: This helps you pay the bills if you must temporarily close after a damaging accident.
- Workers Compensation Insurance: If an employee gets hurt on the job, they are often eligible for workers compensation. It will provide them supplementary income during their recovery.
- Errors & Omissions Insurance: Professional advice or mistakes could cause clients a financial loss. This coverage can compensate them on behalf of the business.
- Crop Insurance: If you cultivate cannabis, then this coverage can help you replace damaged crops in case of an unexpected loss.
Crime Coverage: Should an employee or other party steal from your business, then this coverage can pay for your losses.
Other policies that you will likely need to carry include:
- Commercial Auto Insurance
- Hired/Non-owned Auto Liability Coverage
- Motor Truck Cargo/Inland Marine Insurance
- Employment Practices Liability Insurance (EPLI)
- Directors & Officers (D&O) Insurance
- Cyber Liability Insurance
The most important thing to remember is that you must tailor your plan to fit the unique risks and liabilities of a business that deals in cannabis. Our expert agents understand the unique ways that different insurers cover these industries, and we are committed to helping you sort through different policy options to find the ones that are best for you.
Is Cannabis Insurance Required?
You must buy all insurance as required by California’s commercial insurance regulations, specifically those required of cannabis businesses. We can help you determine where you have coverage requirements and what the minimum coverage you need is. Still, we always will help you increase and tailor coverage to your advantage so that you never lack essential protection.